AMU Student Handbook
In this section

Last Revision: January 30, 2024

Admission of Students from Non-Recognized High Schools

Students must possess a standard high school diploma from a high school recognized by an institutional accrediting body or the state or county Board of Education in your high school’s home state. If it is found that you received your diploma from a high school that is not recognized by a state or county Board of Education in your high school’s home state, or by an institutional accrediting body, or you did not receive the state-defined equivalent of a high school diploma, you will be dropped from any current course registrations and your admission will be denied. Any federal financial aid that you have been awarded at this point will be canceled.

If you want to check if your high school diploma will be accepted, please check with the state or county Board of Education in the location where your high school is based to verify that they recognize diplomas issued by your high school.

Students who have earned a diploma from a school that does not meet APUS admissions standards but who have earned 9 or more hours of college credit may be admitted to APUS on a case by case basis, but may not be eligible for certain forms of financial assistance, such as Federal Student Aid benefits.

Students actively serving or who have served in the United States Armed Forces may submit a signed letter from a member in an official capacity, such as a Company Commander or an Education Service Officer, indicating that the student’s high school is acceptable for acceptance into their service branch and the usage of tuition assistance benefits. The student may also submit an unofficial or official document proving military status such as a Joint Services Transcript, an Enlisted Record Brief, CCAF transcript, or DD Form 214 Certificate of Release/Discharge from Active Duty.

If you have any questions regarding your high school diploma, please contact us at [email protected]