AMU Student Handbook
In this section

Last Revision: January 30, 2024

Applying for Benefits

Students interested in applying for VA Educational benefits should complete an application for benefits on the VA website, Please note, the VA Certifying Official’s (VACO) at APUS cannot determine if you are eligible for VA Educational Benefits. The Department of Veterans Affairs may approve or deny benefits, based on the information provided on the application.

If you have never applied for VA Benefits

Students who have never completed an application for VA Benefits should complete the online application, VA Form 22-1990, using the VA’s online application for education benefits ( When using the online application for education benefits, your application will be electronically submitted to the VA Processing Center.

Please print your application and confirmation page for your records, prior to completing the online application for education benefits. Once the VA has completed review of your application, the VA will mail you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), outlining the chapter benefit you are entitled to and the number of months of benefit you can use. You may upload a copy of your COE securely through the My Documents portal. Please log in with your ecampus ID and Password to upload the required document(s).

If you are transferring or receiving transferred benefits

Students who are receiving benefits transferred to you by a service member (Chapter 35) will need to complete a 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance. The completed form will need to be sent to the St. Louis RPO for processing.

If you have been transferred Chapter 33 benefits, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility, which will need to be submitted to APUS. Please see the Chapter 33 process for more information.

Applications for VA Benefits

  • For most prompt form processing, please complete your application for VA benefits.
  • If you have never used VA Benefits, please complete the 22-1990.
  • If you are transferring Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapter 35) to a spouse or dependent, please complete the 22-5490.
  • If you are transferring Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) to a spouse of dependent, please complete the 22-1990e.

“GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at