AMU Student Handbook
In this section

Last Revision: January 30, 2024

Appealing to Withdraw from a Course after Withdrawal Period Ends

The standard withdrawal period ends once the last week of your course has started. If you have special, unforeseen circumstances which require you to withdraw from the course after the last week has started, please contact the Office of the Registrar at [email protected] with an explanation of your circumstances in your email. The Registrar’s office will let you know if they will need any documentation prior to approving your late withdrawal from the course. You must submit this request prior to the official end of your course.

If you are already on an extension or you have waited until your course has already ended, you will need to appeal for a Special Circumstance Withdrawal; there is no refund associated with a Special Circumstance Withdrawal.

Special Circumstance Withdrawal Policy

  • You are normally only allowed one instance of a Special Circumstance Withdrawal. One instance may involve more than one course if your courses were in session at the time of your special circumstance. Additional appeals may not be considered, but will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis depending on the nature of the circumstances.
  • If you are approved for a special circumstance withdrawal, a grade of W will be posted for the course.
  • If you paid for your course with military TA and your appeal is approved, you should contact your Education Service Officer (ESO). Your ESO or ACES Counselor must be informed of the withdrawal and is solely able to determine if you are eligible for a waiver of indebtedness for tuition assistance. You will be responsible for the non-refunded tuition amount if the military does not agree to waive the debt.
  • If you paid for your course with federal student aid, your withdrawal could impact your financial aid award, as well as your potential eligibility for federal student aid. For more information, please see the financial aid pages on withdrawals and on Satisfactory Academic Progress.


This type of withdrawal may be requested if you experience a demonstrated prohibitive circumstance beyond your control that prevented you from completing or withdrawing from your course(s) by the deadline to do so. This type of request should be made infrequently throughout your academic career, and each request will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis. This withdrawal type is only applicable if you are in the last week of your course, your course has ended, or an extension has started.

The Appeal Process:

  • Submit your official appeal using the Academic Appeal Request form in the campus. It is located in the University Forms section.
  • Documentation for your appeal must be attached to the appeal form. If it is too large to send, please contact [email protected].
  • Appeals may not be submitted over the phone.
  • Students can only petition to appeal within 12 months of the original course end date, not including previously approved extensions.
  • All withdrawal requests will be decided within 30 days of receipt of all required appeal documentation.
  • The decision for your appeal will be sent to the primary email address you have on your student record.