AMU Student Handbook
In this section

Last Revision: January 30, 2024

Changing your Major/Program - FSA Students

Students utilizing Federal Student Aid (FSA) may only change programs within a specific timeframe of any academic year or semester in order to not negatively affect eligibility and disbursement of FSA.

The timeframe is no sooner than 48 days before the end of the current semester up until 10 days prior to the start of their next semester.

Your Academic Advisor is happy to assist with any questions regarding this policy, and may be reached at [email protected].

Your program change request may be denied under one or more of the following criteria:

  • You have submitted excessive number of requests to change majors.
  • You have started and abandoned an APUS program already (This includes changing program levels between undergraduate/graduate without completing a program, or movement between degree to certificate or between certificates.)
  • You have already attempted so many courses that your requested program change will put you above the 150% limit of courses attempted vs earned towards your program.
  • You have submitted a graduation application and have not received final clearance.
  • You are currently on a program hold.
  • You are unsure of your academic and future goals.
  • You have a GPA below the minimum GPA for graduate students (3.0).
  • You have completed over 75% of your academic program.
  • You have an IEP/Vocational Diploma and have not completed 12 semester hours successfully.
  • You are a concurrent enrollment student.

If you are a doctoral student, please visit this page for additional information.

Other Important Information Regarding Program Changes

You must use the UNIVERSITY FORMS menu inside your ecampus, located under the ‘Academic Plan & Forms’ tab, to submit the “Degree Change” form.  Each time you submit the form, it will count as a degree change submission, even if you change your mind.

Canceling Program Change

If you change your mind before the program change is processed, email [email protected] immediately to cancel the request.

Starting Over

You cannot "start over" in a new program at the same level unless your current program deadline has expired. If your program deadline has expired and you have not completed your program, you may start a new program with a new GPA. All previously-completed APUS courses for which you earned a passing grade, as well as any outside source credit will be applied, where applicable, as residential or transfer credit.


You are NOT required to select a certificate with your program. Adding an optional certificate may reduce the amount of credit awarded to your program and can potentially increase the amount of time it will take to complete your program.


Concentrations cannot be removed from programs if they are required. Not all programs require concentrations.

Reposting TCE

If you change your program after you have had a transfer credit award posted, your newly-evaluated transfer credit award will be posted within 21 days of your program change.

Disenrolled Students

If you are currently disenrolled and submitting a request to change your program, you will not be able to select a certificate to add to your program.

For more information on program change requests, please contact your Academic Advisor at [email protected].