Skip Navigation
Welcome to the APUS Help Center

Testing Out of a Course with CLEP or DSST

One option for earning college credit for previously acquired knowledge is to take College Level Examination Program CLEP or DSST exams. If qualified, you can use these exams to transfer in additional credit towards your general education or elective requirements.

CLEP and DSST credits earned are considered non-traditional credit (credit that comes from any source other than an official transcript, including credit from a military occupational specialty (MOS), or Advance Placement (AP) tests) and, as such, have transfer credit limitations.

Note: We are not able to apply science exam credit toward the general education science courses, as we require a lecture and a lab, and the exams do not include the lab component.

Submitting Exam Results

You will need to submit CLEP or DSST results directly to the university to:

American Public University System
Attn: Student Records
111 West Congress Street
Charles Town, WV 25414
FAX: 304-724-3788

Please be sure to include your full name and student ID when submitting documents.

Additional Information

The Transfer Credit Evaluation Center outlines which exams we accept, the minimum score required, and how exams can apply to your academic plan. Please email with specific questions about CLEP or DSST exams.