Course Code: EDUC630 Course ID: 4819 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course provides candidates with an examination of characteristics of students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) across the lifespan. Defining characteristics as outlined in the current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association and multidisciplinary peer-reviewed research are examined. Prevalence rates, etiology, and co-morbid conditions are studied relative to historical progression. Ethical implications and obligations related to ASD evaluation, eligibility determination, and implications for educational programming are analyzed with attention to legislative rights and protections under the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504).(Prerequisite: EDUC503)
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Start Month||Session||Weeks|
|05/29/2023 - 11/03/2023||11/06/2023 - 12/31/2023||November||Fall 2023 Session I||8 Week session|
|07/31/2023 - 12/29/2023||01/01/2024 - 02/25/2024||January||Winter 2024 Session B||8 Week session|
|09/25/2023 - 03/01/2024||03/04/2024 - 04/28/2024||March||Winter 2024 Session D||8 Week session|
After successful completion of this course, candidates will be able to:
- Compare and contrast characteristics of students with ASD across the lifespan, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds (CEC-AAS: SEDAS1.S1, ACS13 K1; WVPTS: 1A, 2A; CAEP: 1.1; ISTE: 4A).
- Assess defining characteristics of ASD as outlined in the current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association and multidisciplinary peer-reviewed research (CEC-AAS: ACSI1 K3, SEDAS1.K1, SEDAS1.S1, SEDAS1.S2; WVPTS: 1A; CAEP: 1.1; ISTE: 4A).
- Evaluate ethical implications and obligations related to ASD evaluation, eligibility determination, and educational programming (CEC-AAS: SEDAS1.K2, ACSI5 S2, ACSI5 S3, ACSI5 S4, SEDAS7.S4, SEDAS7.S5; WVPTS: 1B, 1D, 1E, 2B, 3B, 3E, 5I; CAEP: 1.3, 1.5, 1.7, 1.8, 1.9, 2.1; ISTE: 4A).
- Deconstruct historical progression of prevalence rates, etiology, and co-morbid conditions associated with ASD (CEC-AAS: SEDAS1.K5, SEDAS1.S3, SEDAS4.K1; WVPTS: 1A; CAEP: 1.1; ISTE: 4A).
- Analyzes laws, legislation, and litigation related to ASD (CEC-AAS: ACSI1 K1, ACSI5 K4, ACSI5 K5, ACSI5 S1; WVPTS: 1A, 5I; CAEP: 1.1; ISTE: 4A).
- Appraise the importance of lifelong professional development and self-evaluation (CEC-AAS: SEDAS4.S2, ACSI6 K1, ACSI6 K2, ACSI6 K3, SEDAS6.K1, SEDAS6.K2, ACSI6 S6, SEDAS6.S5, SEDAS6.S6; WVPTS: 4A, 4B, 4C, 4D; CAEP: 1.5, 1.9; ISTE: 5C).
|Week 1: Criteria||3.75%|
|Week 2: Early ASD||3.75%|
|Week 3: School-Aged Challenges||3.75%|
|Week 4: Healthcare||3.75%|
|Week 5: Community Report||3.75%|
|Week 6: Maternal Lifestyle||3.75%|
|Week 7: Due Process||3.75%|
|Week 8: Module||3.75%|
|Assignment 1: DSM-5||6.25%|
|Assignment 2: Development in ASD||6.25%|
|Assignment 3: Neuropsychological Profiles||6.25%|
|Assignment 4: Transition||6.25%|
|Assignment 5: Correlates||6.25%|
|Assignment 6: Evidence||6.25%|
|Assignment 7: Presentation||6.25%|
|Assignment 8: Ethics||6.25%|
Not current for future courses.