Course Code: EDUC513 Course ID: 4169 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course, designed for educators, examines issues related to promoting equitable learning opportunities in the classroom, including effective approaches to encourage collaboration among colleagues, staff, parents, and students who are culturally, ethnically and socio-economically diverse. Interpersonal communication skills – to include speaking, listening, reading, and writing - and their effect on individuals, organizations, and communities will be discussed. Topics examined include ethnic, cultural, gender, class, religious, and linguistic diversity.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Start Month||Session||Weeks|
|05/29/2023 - 11/03/2023||11/06/2023 - 12/31/2023||November||Fall 2023 Session I||8 Week session|
|07/31/2023 - 12/29/2023||01/01/2024 - 02/25/2024||January||Winter 2024 Session B||8 Week session|
|09/25/2023 - 03/01/2024||03/04/2024 - 04/28/2024||March||Winter 2024 Session D||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
- Analyze varied cultural groups.
- Analyze school policy, curriculum, and practices that promote cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Understand instructional strategies and materials that will improve achievement for students with diverse and special needs.
- Evaluate solutions to contemporary social problems found in schools.
- Analyze effective communication in various types of cross-cultural settings.
- Understand issues of racism, bias, and prejudice and their effects on the experiences of individuals and groups.
- Analyze strategies that encourage students to value their own heritage; value richness of cultural diversity and commonality; respect diverse cultural groups; and reduce stereotyping related to diversity factors.
- Evaluate learner-centered environments that use technology to meet the academic diverse needs of all students.
|Week 1: Introductions||4.11%|
|Week 1: Culture Multiculturalism and Diversity||4.11%|
|Week 2: Homelessness in Our Schools||4.11%|
|Week 3: Cultural Responsiveness to Diverse Students||4.11%|
|Week 4: Gender-Based or Sexually-Oriented Cultural Aspects||4.11%|
|Week 4: SES-Based and Geographically-Orientated Cultural Aspects||4.11%|
|Week 5: Communication Physical and Mentally-Oriented Cultural Aspects Related to Diversity of Age in Education||4.11%|
|Week 6: Cultural Groups and Disabilities Inclusion||4.11%|
|Week 7: Meeting the needs of Second Language Learners||4.11%|
|Week 2 Paper: Racial Prejudices||12.00%|
|Week 4 Paper: Kay Ann Taylor||12.00%|
|Week 6 Paper: Cultural Groups||12.00%|
|Week 8: Final Project||27.00%|
Not current for future courses.