Enrollment Status Definition for FSA
If you plan to use Federal Student Aid (FSA) to pay for your education, then you will need to understand and follow these definitions for student enrollment status.
Undergraduate students need a minimum of 3 credits per semester for Federal Pell Grants, and a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester for FSA loans.
- Full-time student = 12+ semester hours
- 3/4-time student = 9 semester hours
- Half-time student = 6 semester hours
- Less than half-time student = 3 semester hours
Graduate students need at least 3 credits per semester for loans.
- Full-time student = 6+ semester hours
- 3/4-time student = 4.5 semester hours
- Half-time student = 3 semester hours
If you have questions about your enrollment status for FSA, you may contact a financial aid advisor by emailing email@example.com or calling 855-731-9218 (Mon – Fri 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sat – Sun 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET).