Course Code: SAHE533 Course ID: 5064 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
In this course students will develop a deeper understanding of various academic advising theories and how they can be put into practice on a day-to-day basis with individuals and groups. Students will also examine their own philosophical perspectives and academic advising styles to identify and become more self-aware of their own personal approaches. Students will develop their personal advising philosophy during this course. Prerequisites: SAHE510 and SAHE520)
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Start Month||Session||Weeks|
|05/29/2023 - 11/03/2023||11/06/2023 - 12/31/2023||November||Fall 2023 Session I||8 Week session|
|07/31/2023 - 12/29/2023||01/01/2024 - 02/25/2024||January||Winter 2024 Session B||8 Week session|
|09/25/2023 - 03/01/2024||03/04/2024 - 04/28/2024||March||Winter 2024 Session D||8 Week session|
- Apply academic advising theories, principles, and NACADA’s Academic Advising Core Competencies Model
- Develop one's personal academic advising philosophy
- Explain key concepts related to academic advisor training and development
- Demonstrate interpersonal and communication skills, for in-person and online academic advising
- Evaluate when students are presenting issues beyond the scope of academic advising and need to be referred for assistance.
- Develop social justice and inclusion competencies in academic advising roles.
|W2: Teaching and Learning Centered Advising||2.50%|
|W3: Developmental Advising & Motivational Interviewing||2.50%|
|W4: Appreciative Advising & Strengths-Based Advising||2.50%|
|W5: Self-Authorship & Proactive Advising||2.50%|
|W6: Advising as Coaching||2.50%|
|W7: Systems Theory||2.50%|
|W8: Future of Academic Advising||2.50%|
|Advising Role Play #1||20.00%|
|Advising Role Play #2||20.00%|
|Personal Advising Philosophy Paper||20.00%|
|Social Justice & Inclusion Case Study Presentation||20.00%|
Not current for future courses.