Course Code: ARTH200 Course ID: 3029 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course provides a survey of the visual arts, which is directed at understanding how to read the global visual world. Building from basic terminology and fundamental analysis, to more complex concepts of understanding art, the course provides tools for examining, analyzing, interpreting, and writing about works of art. Topics will include the political, religious, socio-cultural, and aesthetic functions of painting, sculpture, architecture, camera arts, and new media. No prior art classes or experiences are required.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Start Month||Session||Weeks|
|04/24/2023 - 09/29/2023||10/02/2023 - 11/26/2023||October||Fall 2023 Session B||8 Week session|
|05/29/2023 - 11/03/2023||11/06/2023 - 12/31/2023||November||Fall 2023 Session I||8 Week session|
|06/26/2023 - 12/01/2023||12/04/2023 - 01/28/2024||December||Fall 2023 Session D||8 Week session|
|07/31/2023 - 12/29/2023||01/01/2024 - 02/25/2024||January||Winter 2024 Session B||8 Week session|
|08/28/2023 - 02/02/2024||02/05/2024 - 03/31/2024||February||Winter 2024 Session I||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to
- CO1: Identify major works of Western and Non-Western art from the Neo- Lithic to the Post-Modern periods.
- CO2: Identify major artists and their time periods in Western and Non- Western art.
- CO3: Interpret art terminology in relationship to works of art.
- CO4: Describe major works of art.
- CO5: Compare and contrast works of art.
- CO6: Analyze works of art within their social and historical contexts.
- CO7: Demonstrate the ability to locate and incorporate art historical research sources in a scholarly paper.
- CO8: Examine an artist’s biography and artistic production.
|Week 1: Introductions||5.63%|
|Week 2: Reading Masterpieces in Art: Goya and Manet||5.63%|
|Week 3: Printmaking and Photography||5.63%|
|Week 4: Sculpture and Architecture||5.63%|
|Week 5: Museum Paper Discussion||5.63%|
|Week 6: Issues of Art in Service of Religion||5.63%|
|Week 7: Art Beyond Western Europe Discussion||5.63%|
|Week 8: Exploring the Figure in Modern Art||5.63%|
|Week 5: Museum Paper||14.00%|
|Week 7: Term Paper||21.00%|
|Week 2 Quiz Units 1 and 2||5.00%|
|Week 4 Quiz: Units 3 and 4||5.00%|
|Week 6 Quiz: Units 5 and 6||5.00%|
|Week 8 Quiz: Units 7 and 8||5.00%|
Not current for future courses.