Skip Navigation

Veterans Benefits


The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) offers a number of educational benefits to veterans. This page contains information and links on how to use your veterans benefits at our university.


GI Bill® Options

There are multiple GI Bill® benefits and each is different. We recommend that you compare your options using the GI Bill® Comparison Tool or the comparison table at the VA website. These tools can help you calculate your benefits, research approved programs, and determine eligibility.

In addition, you can view more detailed information on the following programs:

  • The Post-9/11 GI Bill® - If you have at least 90 days of aggregate active duty service after Sept. 10, 2001, and are still on active duty, or if you are an honorably discharged Veteran or were discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days.
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (MGIB-AD) - Provides education benefits to Veterans and Servicemembers who have at least two years of active duty.
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) - Provides education and training benefits to eligible members of the Selected Reserve, including the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP) - Provides educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency declared by the president or Congress.
  • Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)- Available if you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program.
  • Survivors and Dependent Educational Assistance Program (DEA)- Offers education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or of Veterans who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition.

     Compare all Veteran Affairs Education Benefits >


Steps to Using VA Benefits

  1. Apply for admission to our university.
  2. Decide which GI Bill® best fits your needs. Complete and submit your Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).
  3. Complete forms 22-1990 (first time VA applicant) or 22-1995 (returning VA applicant).
  4. Keep an eye out for the VA to send your certificate of eligibility (COE).
  5. Fax your COE and completed form 22-1990 or 22-1995 to 304-724-3782/toll free: 877-480-4236, or email to
  6. Register for class: if you use the Montgomery GI Bill®, the VA will pay you directly meaning you will need to self-pay during registration.
  7. During the registration process for each course you may be prompted to give your consent for the university to submit your course registrations to the VA.
  8. We will submit verification of your enrollment to the VA after the drop period for when your course/courses begin.
  9. You will need to re-verify your enrollment on the last day of each month you are enrolled in class and you will need to grant your consent for each course you registered for.


The Top-Up benefit may be used when a student is using Active Duty federal tuition assistance and the course cost will not be completely funded by TA. TA Top-Up may be used for Chapter 30 & 33 only. For example, if the course cost is $975 and TA pays $750, your out-of-pocket expense is $225. You may submit the $225 to the VA for reimbursement using Top-Up. You are responsible for paying any balance not covered by TA at the start of your course. Access to the course will not be permitted until the balance is paid in full. Students who wish to apply for TA Top-Up should contact to request a TA Top-Up Request Form. APUS will submit an enrollment to the VA to include the amount of tuition and fees’ remaining after all TA funding has been reduced. Please note, the use of Top-Up will exhaust a portion of your GI Bill® benefits. The amount exhausted depends on the chapter benefit being used and the time length of the courses.

Vocational Rehabilitation Benefits

If you are a disabled veteran, you may be entitled to Vocational Rehabilitation education benefits from the VA which may cover up to the full cost of tuition, books, and fees. You may also receive a stipend for course enrollments and technology expenses associated with taking courses online. Call the VA at 800-827-1000 and ask about Vocational Rehabilitation benefits. They will direct you to a case manager in your local area to review your claim. If approved, your case manager will fax VA form 28-1905 to us at 866-755-8763 after which we will allow access to your registered courses.

Survivors & Dependent Benefits

The Veterans Benefits Administration also provides benefits for eligible spouses and children of certain veterans. Benefits can vary depending on if they have been transferred from a Chapter 30 or Chapter 33 program, so please review the requirements carefully.


American Public University System, American Public University, and American Military University are not affiliated with American University or the U.S. Military. American Public University System (APUS) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). © 2016 American Public University System | 111 W. Congress Street, Charles Town, WV 25414 | Toll Free: 1-877-755-2787 | Privacy Policy | Terms