Military Tuition Assistance


We have been educating those who serve™ since 1991, and are as dedicated to helping you pay for school as we are to helping you start and finish it. Here are just a few ways we support our military students:

  • Low tuition rates to help limit your out of pocket costs beyond military tuition assistance (TA)
  • Transfer credit evaluation and technology fees waived for U.S. active duty military, National Guard, and Reserve personnel (technology fee waived for veterans who use VA benefits)
  • Possible transfer credits for your military education and training courses including CCAF, JST, DANTES, METC, and ACE-evaluated training
  • Inclusion in the DANTES Catalog of Nationally and Regionally Accredited Distance Learning Programs
  • Our university support teams online and our military education coordinators located at base installations around the country

Steps to Using Military TA

We recommend you start this process at least 4 weeks prior to your course start date.

  1. Apply for admission to our university and print your degree plan
  2. Register for courses; all branches require registration prior to approval
  3. Choose Military TA as your payment method
  4. Meet with your Education Services Officer (ESO) for a briefing on TA
  5. Log in to your branch education portal and follow their process for enrolling and requesting TA. It may feel like you are registering for classes twice, but this digital record of your classes replaces the need for a hard copy form
  6. Submit required TA forms through your ESO for each course with a unique start date (use TA school code 3389A)
  7. Send ESO-approved forms to us at least one week before course start date via fax: 304-724-3781 or email:

Branch TA Portals

Each branch of the service has a specific TA process. Please select your branch portal below for the most up-to-date information.

Beyond TA: Alternate Payment Options

The total balance not covered by TA, including fees, must be paid before you can start your course(s). Here are a few ways to pay the balance beyond your TA payments.

Out of Pocket (credit card, e-check): To make direct payments on your account, login to your student portal via the university's e-campus and set up your "payment profile" to pay using a credit card or e-check. View our out-of-pocket page for more details or contact student accounts at 877-468-6268, ext. 3660 or if you need assistance.

Federal Student Aid (FSA): View our FSA details page  for eligibility and application information, or contact our FSA department at 877-468-6268 or

Top-Up (Montgomery GI Bill Only): Top-Up is a program that allows GI Bill participants to use their benefits to supplement tuition and fees not covered by TA. View our veterans benefits page for more details, or contact our veterans' benefits team at 877-468-6268, ext. 3620 or

Training Funds: Contact your ESO or civilian training representative to find out if you are eligible for training funds that apply directly to courses related to your job.


Military Spouses

The Military Spouse Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) program is available to provide tuition assistance. Visit the MyCAA portal to learn more and apply for TA.

  1. Register for the courses that your MyCAA counselor approved
  2. Select Employee Voucher as your method of payment
  3. Enter the employer name and address: Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts | 2107 Wilson Boulevard, Suite 100 | Arlington, VA 22209
  4. Enter the EIN number: 11111111
  5. Log into the MyCAA portal and print out a copy of your confirmed Financial Assistance (FA) Award and send this to our TA office by faxing to 866-755-8763, emailing, or mailing to APUS | Attn: Tuition Assistance | 111 West Congress Street | Charles Town, WV 25414

Paperwork Important Notes

  • Submit required TA forms through your ESO for each course with a unique start date (note: use TA school code 3389A)
  • Please be sure you have signed your TA documents and included your student ID on the form for a timely response
  • If your TA paperwork isn't received by the first week of classes, you'll need to pay for tuition via credit card or other means of out-of-pocket payment
  • Send your paperwork to: (fax) 304-724-3781/toll-free 866-755-8763 or email:

American Public University System, American Public University, and American Military University are not affiliated with American University or the U.S. Military. American Public University System (APUS) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and a member of the North Central Association. © 2013 American Public University System | 111 W. Congress Street, Charles Town, WV 25414 | Toll Free: 1-877-755-2787 | Privacy Policy | Terms