Skip Navigation

Federal Student Aid (FSA)


Important Note

You will need our school code and location in order to complete your FAFSA:

School Code: 038193-00
Location: West Virginia

Learn More About FSA

The federal government offers a number of financial aid options to help you pay for school, including grants and loans. The primary difference is that loans need to be repaid, while most grants do not.

The U.S. Department of Education ( website provides information on all federal student aid programs, however, the grants and loans listed below are the only ones we accept here.

You will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSASM) in order to apply for federal aid.

FSA Grants

Federal grants we accept:

Visit the Federal Student Aid website to learn more about grant opportunities.

To learn about grants offered in your home state, please visit the Department of Education State Higher Education Agency webpage.

FSA Loans

Federal loans we accept:

  • Direct Subsidized Loans: For eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loans: For eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students; you do not have to demonstrate financial need
  • Direct PLUS Loans: For graduate or professional students and parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid

Get all the information you need to manage repayment of your federal student loans.

Use the repayment estimator to estimate your federal student loan payments.

Programs Not Eligible for FSA

Please note: These programs are currently not eligible for FSA. If you are interested in one of these programs, please explore our other options for paying for school.

  • Accounting (Graduate Certificate)
  • Child Life (Undergraduate Certificate)
  • CPA Examination Preparation (Undergraduate Certificate)
  • Foundations of Homeland Security (Undergraduate Certificate)
  • General Studies (A.A. and B.A.)
  • K-12 Athletic Administration (Graduate Certificate)
  • K-12 Online Learning (Graduate Certificate)
  • K-12 Reading and Differentiated Instruction (Graduate Certificate)
  • K-12 Virtual School Administration (Graduate Certificate)
  • Technical Management (Undergraduate Certificate)
  • Courses taken for "audit"
  • Courses taken as a "non-degree-seeking" student
  • All learning track programs

How to Pay with FSA

  1. Determine eligibility for federal aid
  2. Log into the ecampus to establish an FSA academic year and register for courses (view Help Center article for details).
  3. In the ecampus, open the My Financial Aid Office link and complete your FAFSA (use the Data Retrieval Tool to save time when completing the FAFSA).
  4. Create your FSA ID in order to e-sign all FSA documents.
  5. Check your email and the ecampus for notifications and updates from our financial aid office, including the possibility of verification.
  6. Review your estimated and actual awards located under the My Financial Aid Office in the ecampus.
  7. Sign your loan Master Promissory Note.
  8. Visit to select a refund preference.
  9. Watch for FSA credit balance refunds 30-45 days after the first week of class.

FSA Credit Balance Refunds

Federal aid funds are paid directly to the university to cover your tuition. Any remaining funds will be disbursed to you. We use BankMobile, a higher education financial services company, as a convenient way for you to receive eligible credit balance refunds within 14 days.

  • You will receive enrollment instructions from BankMobile via postal mail. Watch for a green envelope. 
  • Follow the instructions to log into BankMobile and select how you want to receive your credit balance refund(s).
  • Be sure to use the personal code to activate your account in order to make a selection. Store the information in a safe place.
  • You can choose to have your credit balance refund(s) deposited to your own bank account or to a BankMobile account. If you make no selection, BankMobile will automatically mail you a check with your credit balance refund.

Maintaining Eligibility

Once you qualify for FSA, you'll need to continue to meet basic eligibility requirements, maintain satisfactory academic progress (SAP), and complete your FAFSA annually.

In addition, be aware of how withdrawals and extensions can affect your federal aid eligibility.

Enrollment Status

FSA requires that you be enrolled at least half-time in each 16-week semester to be eligible for their Direct Loan program.

The following applies to each 16-week semester:

  • Full-time: 12+ undergraduate or 6+ graduate credits
  • 3/4 time: 9 undergraduate credits
  • Half-time: 6 undergraduate or 3 graduate credits
  • Less than half-time: 3 undergraduate credits


Registration Requirements and Academic Semester Information

FSA requires you to follow an academic calendar consisting of two academic semesters. Because our classes start monthly, the dates of your academic semester vary. View our academic year table to determine the start date of each FSA semester.

Keep in mind that each course must fit within the start and end dates of your academic semester. In addition, you should register for all of your courses for the entire 16-week academic semester at least one week prior to the start of the semester. For example, if you are taking multiple 8-week courses, you'll want to register for all those courses before the semester begins.


American Public University System, American Public University, and American Military University are not affiliated with American University or the U.S. Military. American Public University System (APUS) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). © 2016 American Public University System | 111 W. Congress Street, Charles Town, WV 25414 | Toll Free: 1-877-755-2787 | Privacy Policy | Terms