Skip Navigation

Employer Benefits, Scholarships & Loans


Employer Benefits

Many businesses today offer educational benefits to their employees. The process is different for each employer, but there are a few steps you'll need to follow here in order to register and pay for courses using your employer's benefits.

  • Check with your employer’s human resources department for specific details on the types of programs that are covered under their tuition assistance benefits.
  • We will provide you and your employer with the necessary documentation regarding tuition, fees, accreditation, course content, or other required information.
  • If your employer requires proof of final grades prior to reimbursement, you'll need to pay your tuition and fees out-of-pocket during registration – see our paying out of pocket page for help.

Submitting Employer Vouchers

  • Prior to registration, ask your employer to complete and submit an employer voucher to our finance office – this guarantees payment of tuition.
  • Fax the voucher to 866-755-8763 or email to before your course start date (note: books are sent once the paperwork is validated and accepted, so submit the paperwork as early as possible).
  • Obtain your Employer's Identification Number (EIN) from any W-2, paystub, or your human resources department.
  • When you register for class, choose "Employer Voucher" as the method of payment and enter the EIN number.
  • If your employer prefers to pay with a credit card, we will send you an invoice with instructions on how to pay; for employer voucher questions, please email:

Federal Government Employees

The Office of Personnel Management supports job-related studies with up to 100% tuition reimbursement for federal employees. This may also cover the cost of all required course materials.

You will need to confirm approval and financial assistance prior to registering for courses where you intend to pay with federal employee tuition assistance.

  • Approval – you need approval by both your immediate supervisor and the local Civilian Training Director confirming that the course is directly related to your job requirements and professional development.
  • Funding – in some cases, limited funding may preclude full tuition reimbursement and/or course material cost coverage.

Private Loans

Private loan programs are typically available through banks, credit unions, credit cards, and other private loan companies.

  • Because the terms and conditions of private loans vary, we recommend that you carefully explore your federal aid eligibility before applying for private loans.
  • Only direct costs, including course materials for graduate students and technology expenses are considered when certifying loans.
  • Once you have been approved for a private student loan, you can email the financial aid office to include course materials or technology fees in your loans.


Scholarships are gift funds that are often awarded to students based on various criteria including high academic achievement, special talents, or other associations with the sponsor. Like grants, scholarships do not have to be repaid. However, if you are using Federal Student Aid (FSA), you will need to declare any scholarship awards which may affect your total FSA eligibility.

While we don't directly offer university scholarships, there are many opportunities to apply for private scholarships. In fact, more than 100 organizations have provided our students with scholarships, so it may be worth your time to investigate these and other avenues.

Featured Scholarships:

Bulk Office Supplies
Award amount is $1000. Deadline to apply is February 1, 2017. This scholarship is open to all high school students--as well as college freshmen and sophomores--who have an interest in pursuing art, teaching, or owning a business.

Scholarship Search Services

Some of the organizations that have provided scholarships to our students:

NOTE: If you decide to use an awarded scholarship to pay for school, you must indicate this payment method when you register for courses. Once the scholarship funds are verified, you'll be able to enter your classroom.


American Public University System, American Public University, and American Military University are not affiliated with American University or the U.S. Military. American Public University System (APUS) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). © 2016 American Public University System | 111 W. Congress Street, Charles Town, WV 25414 | Toll Free: 1-877-755-2787 | Privacy Policy | Terms