The undergraduate certificate in Space Studies looks at spaceflight history, evolution, exploration, astronomy, and orbital mechanics. This online certificate also surveys the government and industry participants from the space race starting in the ‘60s through today. The curriculum for this online certificate was originally designed by former NASA astronaut and Dean of Science and Technology Dr. James Reilly, veteran of three shuttle missions and five spacewalks. You will have the opportunity to learn from leading practitioners working in national and private space, aerospace, and related organizations. This certificate is intended for undergraduate students who want to expand their knowledge of space studies without committing to one of our space studies degree programs.
Course topics are regularly reviewed by an advisory council of industry experts for relevancy to today’s marketplace, and include:
- Astronomy with lab work
- Space studies, including policies and technologies
- Space flight history, developments, and technology
- Comets, asteroids, and meteorites
- The history of space
- Orbital mechanics
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Discuss, describe, and distinguish between the characteristics of each planet in our solar system.
- Describe rocket fundamentals including propellants, combustion principles, and general components.
- Analyze the principles of manned and unmanned flight, both within and outside of Earth’s atmosphere.
- Recall the history and roles of both past and current key space organizations.
- Compare and contrast the origins and types of comets, asteroids and meteorites.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic laws of planetary motion and gravitation.
- Solve fundamental two-body orbital mechanics problems.
- All AMU undergraduate programs require a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent (i.e. GED).
- New undergraduate students may be asked to complete our College Readiness Assessment (ADMN100). If you have successfully completed 9 or more hours of college credit, you may reach out to your AMU admissions representative to inquire about waiving this requirement.
- If you have previous college experience, you will be asked to submit your transcripts from previous schools where you earned academic credit.
- There is no fee to complete the AMU admission application. View steps to apply.
Selecting the right program to meet your educational goals is a key step in ensuring a successful outcome. If you are unsure of which program to choose, or need more information, please contact an AMU admissions representative at 877-777-9081 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Per credit hour: $270 | $250 with military grant*
*To help minimize out-of-pocket costs, AMU offers a tuition grant for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans that caps undergraduate tuition at the military TA limit. See all military-affiliated student benefits.
Paying for School
Because our university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), (the same as the Ohio State University, Univ. of Chicago, and U.S. Air Force Academy, to name a few), we can accept the following forms of financial aid and payments:
Ways to Save
Undergraduate Book Grant
Ebooks are provided at no cost if you are enrolled in undergraduate courses for credit. The undergraduate book grant is estimated to save $250 per academic semester if you are registered as a full-time student.
Accelerate your degree completion by taking full advantage of our transfer credit options, including credit for your previous college courses, military service schools, American Council on Education (ACE) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests, and prior learning experiences.
AMU has educational partnerships with many employers and associations. Be sure to accurately enter your employer information when you complete our admissions application. Your employer might also offer a tuition reimbursement plan as one of your benefits.