Environmental Risk Assessment
The graduate certificate in Environmental Risk Assessment investigates the use of management tools and strategies to resolve complex environmental problems and controversies. This online program offers a solid foundation in risk assessment methods as defined by the National Academy of Sciences: hazard assessment; dose-response assessment; exposure assessment; and risk characterization. You’ll study the application of toxicological and epidemiological data for conducting human and ecological risk assessment, and gain an understanding of the role of government in developing compliance standard and public policies.
This online certificate is intended for graduate students who want to expand their knowledge of environmental risk assessment without committing to a degree program.
The curriculum for this online program is reviewed by an advisory council of industry experts for relevancy to today’s marketplace. Course topics include:
- Environmental policies, regulations, and laws
- Environmental risk assessment and toxicology
- Remediation planning and its impact on heath and surrounding ecosystems
- Leadership, negotiation, collaboration, and conflict resolution
- Fundamentals of environmental systems
- Waste management and pollution control
- Epidemiologic concepts in public health
- Economic drivers in decision making
In addition to the institutional and general learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Define the principles of environmental risk assessment, including detailing the steps in the risk assessment process.
- Determine the toxicity of a compound through literature research and explain in terms of human health and ecosystem impacts.
- Explain the role of government policy to address environmental risk assessment and management.
- Analyze scientific data to identify and characterize risk for both humans and ecosystems.
- Critically assess the effectiveness of site remediation plans.
- All graduate programs require you to have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- If you have a non-U.S. transcript, please view our International Admissions page for more information.
- There is no fee to complete our admission application. View steps to apply.
Selecting the right program to meet your educational goals is a key step in ensuring a successful outcome. If you are unsure of which program to choose, or need more information, please contact an admission representative at 877-777-9081 or email@example.com.
Per credit hour: $350 | $325 with military grant*
*To help minimize out-of-pocket costs, we offer a tuition grant for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans. See all military-affiliated student benefits.
Paying for School
As an accredited university, we accept the following forms of financial aid and payments:
Ways to Save
Accelerate your degree completion by taking full advantage of our transfer credit options, including credit for your previous college courses, military service schools, American Council on Education (ACE) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests, and prior learning experiences.
The university has educational partnerships with many employers and associations. Be sure to accurately enter your employer information when you complete our admissions application. Your employer might also offer a tuition reimbursement plan as one of your benefits.