Environmental Planning and Design
The graduate certificate in Environmental Planning and Design prepares you to develop strategies for implementing sustainable design practices at the landscape scale. You’ll be taught how to use planning tools, including the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS), environmental impact analyses, and the principles of sustainable design. You will also learn the elements that are necessary to design, evaluate, and implement actionable strategies that adhere to professional environmental planning and sustainability principles.
This online certificate is intended for graduate students who want to expand their knowledge of environmental planning and design without committing to a degree program.
The curriculum for this online program is reviewed by an advisory council of industry experts for relevancy to today’s marketplace. Course topics include:
- Natural hazards, disasters, recovery, and management techniques
- Watershed management principles
- Green and sustainable design
- Landscape ecology and planning concepts and uses
- The National Environmental Policy Act and related legislation
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Detail the elements necessary to design, implement, and evaluate sustainable developments, landscapes, and environments.
- Analyze the complex and dynamic interactions between humans and their environment.
- Explain the role of government policy at municipal, regional, national, and global levels to achieve sustainable development.
- Apply theoretical concepts to practical applications in order to design and implement sustainable environmental planning.
- Apply principles of environmental policymaking and environmental legislation, as well as socio-political influences to the field of environmental planning.
- Critically analyze complex, and often competing development plans for adherence to professional environmental planning and sustainability principles.
- All graduate programs require you to have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an institution whose accreditation is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).
- If you have a non-U.S. transcript, please view our International Admissions page for more information.
- There is no fee to complete our admission application. View steps to apply.
Selecting the right program to meet your educational goals is a key step in ensuring a successful outcome. If you are unsure of which program to choose, or need more information, please contact an admission representative at 877-777-9081 or email@example.com.
Per credit hour: $350 | $325 with military grant*
*To help minimize out-of-pocket costs, we offer a tuition grant for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans. See all military-affiliated student benefits.
Paying for School
As an accredited university, we accept the following forms of financial aid and payments:
Ways to Save
Accelerate your degree completion by taking full advantage of our transfer credit options, including credit for your previous college courses, military service schools, American Council on Education (ACE) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests, and prior learning experiences.
The university has educational partnerships with many employers and associations. Be sure to accurately enter your employer information when you complete our admissions application. Your employer might also offer a tuition reimbursement plan as one of your benefits.