Course Code: SPHE317 Course ID: 3317 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course in sports medicine explores the causes and prevention of common sports injuries. You will learn the prognosis and treatment of injuries by examining the anatomy of the injured area of the body through diagrams and interactive websites. Each section of the course covers a certain category of injuries; you will learn what sport or particular athlete is more at risk. Each student will be required to submit a course paper on a specific injury that includes case studies from appropriate references. It is recommended that students complete SPHE 421 Kinesiology before enrolling in this course. (Prerequisite: BIOL251)
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|01/25/21 - 07/02/21||07/05/21 - 08/29/21||Summer 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|03/29/21 - 09/03/21||09/06/21 - 10/31/21||Summer 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|04/26/21 - 10/01/21||10/04/21 - 11/28/21||Fall 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|05/21/21 - 10/29/21||11/01/21 - 12/26/21||Fall 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, students will fulfill the following Learning Objectives (L.O.):
- Identify the role of the certified athletic trainer as a member of the sports medicine team.
- Understand trauma and how the body responds to injury.
- Utilize parts of an off the field evaluation
- Identify the primary injuries to the lower extremity and how to treat them.
- Identify the primary injuries to the upper extremity and how to treat them.
- Identify and understand general medical conditions that plague athletes
|Forum 1||1.25 %|
|Forum 2||1.25 %|
|Forum 3||1.25 %|
|Forum 4||1.25 %|
|Forum 5||1.25 %|
|Forum 6||1.25 %|
|Forum 7||1.25 %|
|Forum 8||1.25 %|
|Week 1 Quiz 1||10.71 %|
|Week 2 quiz #2||10.71 %|
|Week 3 quiz 3||10.71 %|
|Week 4 quiz #4||10.71 %|
|Week 5 Quiz #5||10.71 %|
|Week 6 quiz #6||10.71 %|
|Week 7 quiz #7||10.71 %|
|Week 8 -Assignment 1||15.00 %|
- The VitalSource e-book is provided via the APUS Bookstore.
- Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/bookstore for more information.
See Course Outline
In the Course Materials folder there are additional course articles, and up to date APA handouts.
In addition to the required course texts the following public domain Websites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
The OWL at Purdue
APA Style Homepage
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.