Please join the forums each week. Replies must be posted in the week due and replies after the end of the each week will not be graded. The Forums are for student interaction and input should be submitted before the week ends in order to fully participate in the discussions. Students should demonstrate their own knowledge in the forums and avoid copying and pasting from websites.
- Post the initial response to each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Wednesday.
- Initial responses should be no less than 450 words.
- Initial responses are to be original in content and demonstrate a thorough analysis of the topic.
- Reply to at least 2 of your classmates in each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Sunday.
- Replies to classmates should be no less than 200 words.
- Responses to classmates are significant to advance the forum.
- All forums can be accessed in the Forums section of the course.
- Forum rubric is included in the forum section of the course
- Additional guidelines for week one forum introduction are included in the forum tab within the course
- More in-depth specific instructions for each forum can be found in the forum tab within the course.
- Late Forum posts receive a 10% per day late penalty. If your 2 peer responses are posted after the week is ended (after Day 7, Sunday) they receive a zero, in that the discussion is over and you cannot receive credit for participation in a discussion with others after the discussion week has closed.
Students will be responsible for providing a peer response posting for at least two (2) of their peers’ postings, unless there are less than 3 students in the course, where only one (1) peer posting will be required. Your peer postings should challenge or expound upon at least one of the points made by your peer, and “I agree” does not constitute as an adequate response. As graduate students, you will be expected to provide comprehensive, relevant and well supported points in your assignments.
We all bring something unique to the classroom, from our understanding, our experiences, and our value systems. We honor and respect each person’s diverse beliefs to help us see beyond the classroom to be the most effective individuals we can be. Therefore, we should all be respectful of others while expressing our viewpoints and opinions. Proper netiquette behavior is expected. Any inflammatory, demeaning or disrespectful language in a posting will be immediately removed from the discussion space.
Each week, you will be assigned a topic covered in the weekly readings to demonstrate your understanding of the material by writing a short paper. This assignment should be at least 1- 1/2 pages long or at least 450 words. You will need to cite within the text and have a reference section in APA format (6th edition) as well as adhere to standard writing for graduate level.
- Step 1: You will define the concept from your textbook and/or various sources first. You are demonstrating that you understood the concept that you have chosen. You are going to define this in 2-3 sentences by using your textbook and/or other sources.
- Step 2: You are going to pick an article that utilized the concept that you have chosen. You want to take a look at the following sites to select your article:
- Step 3: Thoroughly READ the article and TAKE notes.
- Step 4: Complete the writing of your summary with a review of this article. In your assessment of this article, you MUST provide how the researchers used the statistical concept in their research by doing the following: 1) Explain the sample (i.e., population used), 2) Summarize the statistical analysis and what software or analysis package was used and 3) Evaluate and describe the results and conclusions in your own words. It is very important that you are able to paraphrase and apply critical thinking in each of these assignments.
Please make sure you cite within the text in APA format (6th edition)
Final Exam: 100 points, unlimited time and must be completed in one setting.
Lab Assignment: The biostatistics lab portion of this course will consist of three parts.
To complete this lab assignment, use IBS SPSS Statistical Software. Provide code used to analyze the data with each lab assignment (copy-paste into your file).
Overview: As public health personnel, you conducted a survey and collected economic and health data on households in a township that is known to have a high prevalence of heart disease. (See the Excel Household Data spreasheet). The Household Data file contains data for 100 households surveyed including race, household income, family size, home price, number of bedrooms, and family history of heart disease.
Analyze the 100 survey responses and write a final report of your observation. Complete your report in a Word document, copying in the relevant output and graphics you need to support your report. Your final report must be a complete report describing your findings from the data to include parts 1 - 4. Your report should be in APA format.
Lab Exercise Part 1: DUE WEEK 2
Lab Exercise Part 2: DUE WEEK 5
Lab Exercise Part 3: Final Lab Report DUE WEEK 7
Your final report must be a complete report putting together and describing your findings from the analysis of the data from part 1 through part 4. Your report should be in APA format.
- More in-depth specific instructions for each assignment can be found in the Assignment tab within the course.
- Assignments submitted late without advance notice will receive a 5% per day late penalty and will not be accepted for grading five (5) days past the due date.