Course Code: NURS350 Course ID: 4206 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course is only open to students who are enrolled in the RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN) program. It includes a 20 hour practice experience in leadership with a nurse leader in a care setting. This course builds on assessments related to professionalism, culture of safety, nursing ethics and effective use of healthcare technology completed in previous courses with an emphasis on leading change in complex organizational healthcare systems. Students integrate and apply this knowledge to improve quality and build cultures of safety in their workplaces. It is recommended that students select a nurse leader for this assignment prior to the course start. (Prerequisite: NURS300)
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|10/26/20 - 04/02/21||04/05/21 - 05/30/21||Spring 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|01/25/21 - 07/02/21||07/05/21 - 08/29/21||Summer 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
At the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Assess the organizational structure, mission, vision, philosophy and values in a workplace (PO 3)
- Examine the historical context of leadership in nursing and how leadership has evolved within the profession (PO 1)
- Evaluate individual leadership styles and how they can impact personal professional practice in their workplaces (PO 1)
- Demonstrate the use of effective collaboration and communication techniques when communicating with patients, families, and members of the healthcare team (PO 1, 2, 6)
- Employ the principles of professionalism and ethical responsibility in a leadership role as a member of a healthcare team (PO 6)
- Integrate nursing leadership concepts in to the various roles of the registered nurse for the provision of safe and high quality nursing care (PO 1, 6)
- Examine how internal and external factors directly and indirectly affect the functioning of a healthcare system (PO 3, 4)
- Analyze the roles, functions, and relationships of nurse leaders and managers within a healthcare system (PO 2, 6)
- Examine how business principles are used to effectively manage patient care needs in diverse healthcare environments (PO 7)
Module Learning Objectives are located within the course.
Baccalaureate Essentials covered in this course include II, V, VI, VIII.
Please join the discussions each week. Replies must be posted in the week due and replies after the end of the each week will not be graded. The Discussions are for student interaction and input should be submitted before the week ends in order to fully participate in the discussions. Students should demonstrate their own knowledge in the discussions and avoid copying and pasting from websites. In this class there are 9 graded discussions.
- Post the initial response to each discussions by 11:55pm, ET, Wednesday
- Initial responses are to be original in content and demonstrate a thorough analysis of the topic.
- Reply to more than 2 of your classmates in each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Sunday.
- Responses to classmates are significant to advance the discussions.
- All discussions can be accessed in the Discussions section of the course.
- Respond to all questions posed to you in your initial post by instructor and/or peers.
An initial post must precede the response posts to peers. An initial post received after Wednesday 11:55 pm will receive a 10% deduction for each day, for 3 days, prior to discussions being graded. This means the highest grade possible for a late submission of 3 days, is 70%. However, response posts are due by Sunday 11:55 pm. If response posts are not submitted by this time, the discussion is over. Therefore, no points can be awarded for collaboration, and the highest grade possible for late submission past 3 days is 60%.
There are no tests/quizzes in this course.
There are 3 written assignments due throughout the course. All assignment instructions and grading rubrics are located in the Assignments area of MyClassroom. Assignments are due by 11:55 pm EST on the Sunday of the week they are assigned, or as indicated in the Assignments area.
Reading Resources are embedded within each weekly Learning Lesson
Academic Writing Requirements:
The School of Health Sciences requires use of APA format and style and all students are encouraged to have a current copy of the APA Publication Manual. All written assignments are to be submitted in APA format style unless otherwise noted in the assignment directions.
|Book Title:||To find the library e-book(s) req'd for your course, please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the eReserve by course #.|
|Author:||No Author Specified|
|Book Title:||Leading and Managing in Nursing, 6e - eBook available via the APUS Online Library|
Not current for future courses.