- Degrees & Programs
- Student Success
- Student Activities
- Career Services
Course Code: HOSP300 Course ID: 4282 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
Key accounting concepts and the selective application of its most effective strategies and tactics are mission critical factors for most hospitality operations. Students participate in real-world hands-on managerial accounting in a hospitality setting. Covers the tax changes made in 2010 and the updated operating statistics. Revenue management and dynamic pricing, accounting for gift cards, unsecured bank loans, and profitability indexes are introduced.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|03/30/20 - 09/04/20||09/07/20 - 11/01/20||Summer 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|04/27/20 - 10/02/20||10/05/20 - 11/29/20||Fall 2020 Session B||8 Week session|
|05/25/20 - 10/30/20||11/02/20 - 12/27/20||Fall 2020 Session I||8 Week session|
|06/29/20 - 12/04/20||12/07/20 - 01/31/21||Fall 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|07/27/20 - 01/01/21||01/04/21 - 02/28/21||Winter 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
1) Explain the primary purpose of accounting and each of the five branches of accounting.
2) Prepare financial statements utilized in the Hospitality Industry, including P&L, statement of cash flow, balance sheet and income statement.
3) Identify factors that affect a foodservice operation’s menu pricing strategy.
4) Interpret hotel financial reports that are used in the industry for performance reports and expense allocation.
5) Compute sales forecasts and operating budgets for multiple months, based on historical figures.
6) Explain why ethics is a fundamental business concept, and essential in accounting
7) Using results from a restaurant’s financial analysis, provide recommendations for next year’s budget and strategy.
|Forum 1||5.00 %|
|Forum 2||5.00 %|
|Forum 3||5.00 %|
|Forum 4||5.00 %|
|Forum 5||5.00 %|
|Forum 6||5.00 %|
|Forum 7||5.00 %|
|Forum 8||5.00 %|
|Assignment 1: Accounting Fundamentals||5.00 %|
|Assignment 2: Income Statements and Balance Sheets||5.00 %|
|Assignment 3: Cash Flows & Pricing||5.00 %|
|Assignment 4: Understanding Ratios||5.00 %|
|Assignment 6: Revenue Management & Cost Accounting||5.00 %|
|Assignment 7: Forecasting & Internal Controls||5.00 %|
|Research Papers||20.00 %|
|Assignment 5: Paper 1 - Letter to the CEO||10.00 %|
|Assignment 8: Final Paper - Reading and Understanding Financial Statements||10.00 %|
|Week 7 Quiz 4||2.50 %|
|Week 5 Quiz 3||2.50 %|
|Week 3 Quiz 2||2.50 %|
|Week 1 Quiz 1||2.50 %|
Required Readings – As assigned, see Weekly Lessons and Forum Postings
Additional Resources and Websites – See Weekly Lessons
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
|Book Title:||Managerial Accounting for the Hospitality Industry - eBook available through the APUS Online Library.|
Not current for future courses.