- Degrees & Programs
- Student Success
- Student Activities
- Career Services
Course Code: HIMA620 Course ID: 4771 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This course will prepare students to navigate the area of corporate compliance within the health care industry by identifying risks and avoiding possible liability by examining a myriad of laws, regulations, policy guidance, enforcement initiatives, and certifications (e.g. HIPAA, Stark laws). The course will provide students with a foundation in the core elements of corporate compliance. Students will evaluate various tools and strategies necessary for an effective corporate compliance program to protect a health care organization and avoid penalties as a result of non-compliance.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|06/29/20 - 12/04/20||12/07/20 - 01/31/21||Fall 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|07/27/20 - 01/01/21||01/04/21 - 02/28/21||Winter 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|09/28/20 - 02/26/21||03/01/21 - 04/25/21||Winter 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, candidates will be able to:
1. Analyze various federal laws, regulations, and policies and their impact on the health care industry.
2. Evaluate tools and strategies to create an effective framework for a corporate compliance program.
3. Assess health care industry compliance issues and challenges.
4. Identify potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk.
5. Apply remediation methods to limit potential liability.
6. Develop an effective compliance communication program.
Please join the forums each week. Replies must be posted in the week due and replies after the end of the each week will not be graded. The Forums are for student interaction and input should be submitted before the week ends in order to fully participate in the discussions. Students should demonstrate their own knowledge in the forums and avoid copying and pasting from websites.
• Post the initial response to each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Thursday.
• Initial responses should be no less than 300 words. This response must be a balanced discussion with two parts: 1) Your discussion of the content/topic and 2) Your own critical thinking reflection, sharing what you think of the topic, do you agree with it, no? Why or why not? In other words your discussion should be both objective (facts) and subjective (your thoughts). One sentence is not enough for the subjective
• Initial responses are to be original in content and demonstrate a thorough analysis of the topic.
• Reply to at least 2 of your classmates in each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Sunday.
• Replies to classmates should be no less than 200 words.
• Responses to classmates are significant to advance the forum.
• All forums can be accessed in the Forums section of the course.
Required Textbook for the degree program:
Candidates are expected to adhere to APA style throughout the program. The Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (Currently 6th ed.) should be purchased and used in all courses.
In addition to the required course texts, the following public domain web sites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
AHIMA Home - American Health Information Management Association. (n.d.). Retrieved
December 2, 2014, from http://www.ahima.org/
HIMSS - Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. (n.d.). Retrieved December
2, 2014, from http://www.himss.org/
|Book Title:||Essentials of Healthcare Compliance, 1st ed.|
|Author:||Shelley C. Safian|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$35.00|
Not current for future courses.