- Degrees & Programs
- Student Success
- Student Activities
- Career Services
Course Code: HIMA501 Course ID: 4764 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
This is the first course required for students enrolled in the MS in Health Information Management degree program. This course addresses the theoretical and practical applications that information technology (IT) plays in the administration of health information. Students will study how the management and synthesis of healthcare data across a variety of levels within the healthcare system plays an integral role in strategic and tactical decision making. The course provides students with an overview of systems planning, grant and contract development, as well as e-health and electronic medical records. Students will gain a foundational knowledge of IT deployment, adoption, data security and interoperability, privacy, confidentiality, and information management planning. In addition, students will examine the legal and ethical aspects of health information management.
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|03/30/20 - 09/04/20||09/07/20 - 11/01/20||Summer 2020 Session D||8 Week session|
|04/27/20 - 10/02/20||10/05/20 - 11/29/20||Fall 2020 Session B||8 Week session|
|05/25/20 - 10/30/20||11/02/20 - 12/27/20||Fall 2020 Session I||8 Week session|
|07/27/20 - 01/01/21||01/04/21 - 02/28/21||Winter 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
After successfully completing this course, students will be able to:
1. Examine the theoretical and practical applications of IT in the administration of health information.
2. Evaluate types of electronic health records and the issues associated with each.
3. Examine legal and ethical aspects of health information management.
4. Integrate issues related to the importance of data security, privacy, and confidentiality as it relates to the management of health information as an administrator.
5. Analyze the role of a health information management administrator’s position in grant and contract development.
6. Assess the use of healthcare data in managerial strategic and tactical decision making.
Please join the forums each week. Replies must be posted in the week due and replies after the end of the each week will not be graded. The Forums are for student interaction and input should be submitted before the week ends in order to fully participate in the discussions. Students should demonstrate their own knowledge in the forums and avoid copying and pasting from websites.
• Post the initial response to each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Thursday.
• Initial responses should be no less than 300 words.
• Initial responses are to be original in content and demonstrate a thorough analysis of the topic.
• Reply to at least 2 of your classmates in each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Sunday.
• Replies to classmates should be no less than 200 words.
• Responses to classmates are significant to advance the forum.
• All forums can be accessed in the Forums section of the course.
In addition to the required course texts, the following public domain web sites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
AHIMA Home - American Health Information Management Association. (n.d.). Retrieved
December 2, 2014, from http://www.ahima.org/
HIMSS - Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. (n.d.). Retrieved December
2, 2014, from http://www.himss.org/
|Book Title:||Today’s Health Information Management: An Integrated Approach, 2nd ed.|
|Electronic Unit Cost:||$40.00|
Not current for future courses.