Course Code: EDUC505 Course ID: 4167 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Graduate
The Professional School Counselor is an introductory course that sets the stage for future in-depth study in the School Counseling program. This course covers the history of the School Counseling profession and its integration into the total educational program. The roles and functions of professional school counselors presented are in alignment with the American School Counselor Association (ASCA) National Model and the standards established by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP). Candidates are required to conduct interviews with practicing school counselors during this course. While observation hours are not required they are strongly encouraged for a full course experience. Candidates are therefore advised to verify that they will have access to a practicing school counselor and preferably also to classroom settings prior to scheduling the course during summer months.
After successfully completing this course, you will be able to:
• Develop an understanding of the history, philosophy, and trends of the counseling
profession related to school counseling. (CACREP CPI G1 and SCD A & B)
• Apply 21st School Counseling concepts and paradigms to the development of positive counseling interventions and professional relationships with K-12 students, their parents, and within the K-12 educational environment.
(CACREP CPI G1, G3, G5, G6, and SCD A & B, C & D)
• Evaluate the different grade levels of school counseling by interviewing, observing, comparing and contrasting practicing School Counselors at the elementary level and at the secondary level. (CACREP CPI G1, G3, G5, G6, and SCD A & B, C & D)
• Summarize state certification as it relates to becoming a certified School Counselor. (CACREP CPI G1and SCD A & B)
• Analyze legal considerations and ethical standards that relate to being a school counselor. (CACREP CPI G1and SCD A & B)
• Develop an understanding of culturally diverse K-12 students, their parents, and school professionals and staff and their need for advocacy and social justice. (CACREP CPI G2 and SCD E & F)
• Develop an understanding of need assessments as they relate to academic, career, and personal/social development. (CACREP CPI G4 & G7 and SCD G & H, K & L)
• Summarize the importance of working with students K-12 in reaching their maximum performance through family-school-community collaboration and by conducting a school community profile and a mini comprehensive school counseling program. (SCD M & N)
• Evaluate the role of consultation and how it serves to empower the role of the school counselor and their leadership abilities within the school settings and within their community. (SCD M & N)
• Explain the importance of school counselors as a system change agent. (SCD O & P)
• Develop an understanding of the importance of designing, implementing, managing, and evaluating a comprehensive school counseling program. (SCD O & P)
• Summarize the importance of using data, conducting research, and doing a program evaluation in order to advance the field of school counseling and impact K-12 school improvement plans and the students they counsel. (CACREP CPI G8 and SCD I & J)
Please join the forums each week. Students must post a reply to both weekly forums and reply to at least 2 other students for each Forum. This means that each week you should have 2 initial posts and 4 responsive posts. Replies must be posted in the week due and replies after the end of the each week will not be graded. The Forums are for student interaction and input should be submitted before the week ends in order to fully participate in the discussions. Students should demonstrate their own knowledge in the forums and avoid copying and pasting from websites.
- Post the initial response to each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Wednesday.
- Initial responses should be no less than 300 words.
- Initial responses are to be original in content and demonstrate a thorough analysis of the topic.
- Reply to at least 2 of your classmates in each forum by 11:55pm, ET, Sunday.
- Replies to classmates should be no less than 150 words.
- Responses to classmates are significant to advance the forum.
- All forums can be accessed in the Forums section of the course.
Four Assignments and Rubrics
- Interview an elementary school counselor AND a secondary school counselor. Following the interviews, compare and contrast your interviews and observations in a 5-7 page paper. Instructions: You will need to find, interview, and observe an elementary school counselor AND a secondary school counselor. The format for this assignment is found under the assignment section in the Sakai classroom. This report will be graded for accuracy of interpretation, rigor of argument, and clarity of expression. The report needs to be written with an introduction, body of paper with appropriate headings to organize your work, and conclusion in APA format with references in text and a references page at the end of your paper. Since some of the information is from direct interviews, please use the appropriate personal communication citations in text according to APA style. This assignment is worth 20 % of your grade and due on Sunday during Week Four. You should contact potential counselors to interview during Week One of this course!
- School community profile: You will be completing a school community profile that will provide information used for your ASCA National
Model presentation. You can find the information for this assignment from either of the two practicing school counselors you interviewed or you can use a different school counselor entirely. The format to write up this report and a grading rubric can be found under the assignment area in Sakai. My suggestion is to start gathering data early so you can complete this assignment on time. This report will be graded for accuracy of interpretation, rigor of argument, and clarity of expression. The report needs to be written with an introduction, body of paper, and summary (conclusion) in a proper APA format with references in text and a bibliography at the end of your paper. This assignment is worth 10 % of your grade. Due the Sunday of the Fifth Week.
- Accountability Assignment
School counselors implement data-driven programs. You will select a scenario from p. 241 in your textbook and apply the MEASURE data-driven process to the scenario. The MEASURE document should look similar to the example in your textbook. In addition, a three page reflection paper on the importance of using data in comprehensive school counseling programs should accompany the MEASURE example. The grading rubric and specific assignment instructors are located in Assignments in the Sakai Classroom. This assignment is worth 15% of your grade. Due the Sunday of the Seventh Week.
ASCA National Model Presentation
You will create a power point presentation of your “ideal” comprehensive school counseling program using the information from your school community profile assignment and the ASCA National Model as a guide. Imagine this presentation as an educational tool to explain the role of the school counselor to stakeholders (i.e. staff, parents, community members, school board members, administrators).
In your power point, you should include the following information:
- Foundation: philosophy and mission statement for your school counseling program
- Delivery System: Examples of programs that would meet the academic, career, and personal/social needs identified in your school community profile
- Management: Sample weekly and monthly calendar of your school counseling program
- Accountability: Describe how you will use data in your program and provide an example
e) References – Cite any references you use throughout your Power Point Presentation and provide a References slide at the end with APA style citations.
My suggestion is to start gathering data early so you can complete this assignment on time. An example timeline would be:
- Complete philosophy and mission by Week 2
- Complete delivery system information by Week 3
- Complete sample calendars by Week 6
- Complete accountability information and example by Week 7
- References by Week 8
This presentation will be graded for accuracy of interpretation, rigor of argument, and clarity of expression. APA format should be used on each slide to identify your sources and a detailed APA style reference page should be the last slide in your presentation. This assignment is worth 30 % of your grade. The final product is due the Saturday of Week Eight.
Assignments and weekly responses and discussions will be graded on a 100% point scale despite the point value each item is worth in this course.
Required Textbook for the degree program:
Candidates are expected to adhere to APA style throughout the program. The Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (Currently 6th Ed.) should be purchased and used in all courses in the Guidance & Counseling Program.
Not current for future courses.