Course Code: CHFD210 Course ID: 3575 Credit Hours: 3 Level: Undergraduate
This course examines a variety of developmentally appropriate instructional strategies central to the education of children. Integrating a micro-systemic perspective that takes into account internal and external family dynamics, this course will focus on identifying theoretical and applied solutions to the choice of age-appropriate learning exercises
|Registration Dates||Course Dates||Session||Weeks|
|11/30/20 - 04/30/21||05/03/21 - 06/27/21||Spring 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
|12/28/20 - 06/04/21||06/07/21 - 08/01/21||Spring 2021 Session D||8 Week session|
|01/25/21 - 07/02/21||07/05/21 - 08/29/21||Summer 2021 Session B||8 Week session|
|02/22/21 - 07/30/21||08/02/21 - 09/26/21||Summer 2021 Session I||8 Week session|
After successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Discuss influences and changes that have occurred in early childhood education through its history.
- Summarize the concepts of contemporary Early Childhood Education models and child care programs.
- Describe the physical, cognitive, social, and emotional development that occurs in early childhood (ages 3 through 6).
- Examine the role of play in the learning process of young children.
- Describe the characteristics of an early childhood professional using the NAEYC standards of professional development.
- Describe the role of parents and family in the education of young children.
Throughout the semester you will have projects and/or write responses to weekly prompts. These responses will involve analyses of readings, comparing and contrasting the views of authors, and critique of arguments presented by the readings or the class. Projects/papers will be graded for accuracy of interpretation, rigor of argument, and clarity of expression. Please be sure to review the guidelines for each assignment as well as the grading rubrics found in the classroom.
|Forum 1||5.00 %|
|Forum 2||5.00 %|
|Forum 3||5.00 %|
|Forum 4||5.00 %|
|Forum 5||5.00 %|
|Forum 6||5.00 %|
|Forum 7||5.00 %|
|Forum 8||5.00 %|
|Week 2 : Theories and Contributors to Early Childhood Education||15.00 %|
|Week 4: Early Childhood Education Program Review||15.00 %|
|Week 6: Promoting Development and Developmentally Appropriate Practice||15.00 %|
|Week 8: Engaging Families and the Community||15.00 %|
In addition to the required course readings, the following public domain web sites are useful. Please abide by the university’s academic honesty policy when using Internet sources as well. Note web site addresses are subject to change.
APA Format http://www.apa.org
|Book Title:||Various resources from the APUS Library & the Open Web are used. Please visit http://apus.libguides.com/er.php to locate the course eReserve.*|
Not current for future courses.