Alumni Community Service Award
We are currently accepting applications. The application deadline is December 1, 2014. For more information, please contact email@example.com.
The Alumni Community Service Award recognizes exceptional alumni who have made significant contributions in the spirit of the university’s motto of service and who have rendered distinctive service to their community or to society as a whole. It recognizes alumni who exemplify creative and continuous personal growth and a willingness to embrace our changing world. It honors alumni for their achievement in their community while carrying the spirit of the university into the rest of the world.
In order to be considered for nomination of this award, recipients should:
- Provide evidence of regular and sustained service to the community/society.
- Contribute to the community/society beyond the standard career responsibilities.
- Display exceptional humane and ethical qualities.
- Accomplish criteria during academic tenure at the university and/or after graduation.
- Nominees may be self-nominated, nominated by another graduate, a member of the faculty or staff, or another person outside the university who knows the nominee and the university well.
- Nominees will be contacted to let them know they are nominated and encouraged to apply for the award.
- A cover page including your name, student ID, degree completed, contact information, and graduation date.
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member or supervisor who knows you well. The letter should specifically address how you meet the requirements for the award. You may want to give your recommendation writer a brief summary of the award.
- An original essay of no more than 1,000 words that outlines why you are an exceptional candidate for the award including concrete examples of how you meet each of the requirements for this award.
- The supporting essay should answer questions such as: In what ways has the candidate served the community and in what ways has this service carried the spirit of the university? What are the recognized contributions made by this candidate that demonstrate a benefit to the larger community?
- The following supporting documents are also required: Evidence that a nominee received state or national recognition for significant achievements in his or her chosen field and an additional letter of support/recommendation.
- Your current professional resume.
- Additional information such as news articles, recognition awards, and volunteer service, that supports the nomination are encouraged.
- Award may, but will not necessarily, be awarded annually.
- All materials are to be submitted in one complete packet. Late or incomplete submissions will not be considered.
Don’t hesitate to contact the Office of Alumni Affairs if you need help collecting supporting documents during the nomination process.