Skip Navigation

Returning Alumni


Welcome back! We are excited that you have chosen to return to pursue a second degree. As a returning alumnus, you will not need to re-submit the online application; however, there are several steps that you will need to take to get enrolled in your new degree.

Getting Started

  1. Visit the alumni login page to sign in again. Forgot ID? Look it up.
  2. Enter the student ID and password you used in your previous program.
  3. Now that you're back on the ecampus, review the academic programs available.
  4. After you review and select your academic program, on the left hand side, under the FORMS Menu, select OTHER FORMS.
  5. Choose the form titled “New Program Enrollment Application Form” (currently the seventh bullet in the list).
  6. If everything is correct, select your new program type, name, and concentration using the drop down menus.
  7. Hit the Submit button and start getting reacquainted with the ecampus.
  8. Update your contact information, so that an academic advisor can be in touch.

Have additional questions? We encourage you to view these checklists and frequently asked questions.

Undergraduate New Program Enrollment Checklist – For those alumni who are returning to complete an associate, bachelor’s, or undergraduate certificate program.

Graduate New Program Enrollment Checklist – For those alumni who have earned a minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by a recognized accrediting body and who are returning to complete a master’s or graduate certificate program. 

I completed my degree at APUS and want to return for another program. Do I need to submit a new application?

No, you do not need to submit a new application; in fact, you will not be able to submit one. Instead, you complete a "New Program Enrollment Application" (NPE) form. You can find it under the Forms Menu, the OTHER FORMS link, on the left side of the ecampus; it’s in that list. After you submit it, you will receive an email from your advising team asking you to verify this request. Be sure to respond to this email.

What if my contact information has changed?

You can change your contact information via the "Change Contact Information" link in the left side of your ecampus. As you will receive ALL communication to the email we have on file, it is extremely important that you provide your current email address.

Where can I find the “New Program Enrollment (NPE) Application”?

You can find it under the Forms Menu on the left side of your ecampus; click on the OTHER FORMS link, and it’s in that list.

How long will the NPE take to process?

The NPE process can take up to 10 business days. Be sure you respond to the verification email you receive from your advising team so that your requested change can go through

Will my credits from my earned degree at APUS be applied toward my new degree?

If the APUS degree you earned is on the same academic level (e.g., undergraduate), then that credit will be evaluated toward your new undergraduate degree program. These previously earned credits will have to meet all transfer credit requirements to be applied toward your new degree.

How do I transfer college credit earned from another institution?

Once the NPE process is complete and your program has been updated, submit the “Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) Application,” found under the Forms Menu on the left side of your ecampus.

What if I previously submitted the TCE but have newly earned credits?

Submit a “TCE Update Request Form” available from the Forms Menu on the left side of your ecampus; click on OTHER FORMS, and it’s in that list.

How many credits can I receive during the TCE?

If you are entering an associate degree, you can receive a maximum of 46 credits toward your program; if you are entering a bachelor’s degree, you can receive a maximum of 91 credits; and if you are entering a master’s program, you can receive a maximum of 15 credits.

What is the cost per semester credit hour?

Undergraduate tuition is $270 per semester hour.

Graduate tuition is $350 per semester hour.

To minimize out-of-pocket costs for servicemembers, we offer our military-affiliated students a tuition grant that caps undergraduate tuition at $250/credit hour (military TA limit) and graduate tuition at $325/credit hour. This grant is for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans.

What types of financing are available?

APUS accepts many forms of tuition financing from public and private sources: military tuition assistance (TA), federal student aid (FSA), VA/GI bill benefits, private loans, and employer voucher.

It has been a while since I took an online course; are resources available?

We have a variety of resources to help you with our online classroom environment. Please take a moment to view the short, 4-minute demo of the classroom or attend a live Virtual Open House on the classroom. You can request recorded versions of this open house as well.

It’s the first day of classes; what should I do?

Courses open at 6:00am ET on the first Monday of the month. Log in to you courses by clicking on the “Enter Classes” button on the top left of the ecampus. Each course has a syllabus available that you should open, read, and save for future reference.

You are required to log in to each course at least once during the first week and complete the first week discussion board forum. If you do not complete this, you will be dropped from the course. The discussion board forum post should be a minimum of 250 words.


American Public University System, American Public University, and American Military University are not affiliated with American University or the U.S. Military. American Public University System (APUS) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). © 2016 American Public University System | 111 W. Congress Street, Charles Town, WV 25414 | Toll Free: 1-877-755-2787 | Privacy Policy | Terms