The undergraduate certificate in Sustainability offers you the opportunity to study resource and energy use and policy, emerging renewable energy technologies, and the societal and economic barriers to implementation of sustainable practices. You will also develop your ability to plan and implement integrated, practical solutions that ultimately contribute to national and global resource conservation. This online certificate is intended for undergraduate students who want to expand their knowledge of sustainability without committing to a degree program.
The curriculum for this online certificate is reviewed by an advisory council of industry experts for relevancy to today’s marketplace. Course topics include:
- Principles and tools of environmental sustainability
- Trends in energy technology, policy, and sustainability
- Land use and planning
- Land use management techniques, design, and analysis
- Fundamental concepts of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and remote sensing technologies
- Green infrastructure planning and design and renewable technologies
- Water resources management
In addition to the institutional and degree level learning objectives, graduates of this program are expected to achieve these learning outcomes:
- Explain the foundational principles of resource and energy sustainability.
- List current and emerging renewable energy technologies.
- Explain society’s dependence on fossil fuel and traditional energy sources.
- Explain the social and economic barriers that prevent the acceptance and use of sustainable products, goods and services.
- Apply the principles of sustainability to land use and development planning
- Assess the impact of green infrastructure and sustainable design on global resource sustainability.
- All undergraduate programs require a minimum of a high school diploma or equivalent (i.e. GED).
- New undergraduate students may be asked to complete our College Readiness Assessment (ADMN100). If you have successfully completed 9 or more hours of college credit, you may reach out to your admission representative to inquire about waiving this requirement.
- If you have previous college experience, you will be asked to submit your transcripts from previous schools where you earned academic credit.
- There is no fee to complete our admission application. View steps to apply.
Selecting the right program to meet your educational goals is a key step in ensuring a successful outcome. If you are unsure of which program to choose, or need more information, please contact an admission representative at 877-777-9081 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Military-Affiliated Students* = $250/credit hour
All Other Students = $270/credit hour
*To help minimize out-of-pocket costs, we offer a tuition grant for U.S. active-duty servicemembers, Guard, Reserve, military spouses and dependents, and veterans that caps undergraduate tuition at the military TA limit. See all military-affiliated student benefits.
Paying for School
Because our university is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), (the same as the Ohio State University, Univ. of Chicago, and U.S. Air Force Academy, to name a few), we can accept the following forms of financial aid and payments:
Ways to Save
Undergraduate Book Grant
Ebooks are provided at no cost if you are enrolled in undergraduate courses for credit. The undergraduate book grant is estimated to save $250 per academic semester if you are registered as a full-time student.
Accelerate your degree completion by taking full advantage of our transfer credit options, including credit for your previous college courses, military service schools, American Council on Education (ACE) and College Level Examination Program (CLEP) tests, and prior learning experiences.
The university has educational partnerships with many employers and associations. Be sure to accurately enter your employer information when you complete our admissions application. Your employer might also offer a tuition reimbursement plan as one of your benefits.